incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]: where is the donation button
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2012 01:55:00 GMT

On Jul 17, 2012, at 6:03 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 7:39 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

of

>>> That's great - more to do, but +1 from me to just make that the footer
>>> for the oo.o site... and I see it is..Excellent!
>>>
>>> So leaves forums and the wiki - same treatment for now?
>>
>> I think so. We are going to an acceptable page. The only question is whether or not
to include the "Paypal" hash tag, It is used now.

> This is really a bad location in terms of visibility.  How do I know?
> Because Google Analytics tracks screen resolution for incoming
> requests (it is part of standard HTTP request header metadata).  It
> then has a report where it will show you how much of any given page
> can be seen by what % of your users without scrolling.  For the home
> page, fewer than 10% of the users can see that footer without
> scrolling.   Since every normal action on the page is above that mark,
> users have no reason to scroll down to see this link.

Thanks for the data. I agree. I took the easy way as the footer has less visibility, yet enough
so that the fewer who find it there will still let us know if we need an interim page or not.

Also the footer is an easier change on the forums and media-wiki.

> In any case we can look at this again after graduation.

Branding is certainly a part of the transition to becoming a TLP.

>> I think that if this direct link to the ASF donations page confuses users we'll find
out and can put into place a page in between.

>> We can also have a Donations button to the right of the Search button on www.openoffice.org.

I agree about location. It really should be at the top. I think we are at a place where we
ought to agree on a road map that could give contributors some fun things to do.

I have been mentoring the Apache Flex podling. They had a logo contest with over 50 entries!
Perhaps a Design contest for Apache OpenOffice Web Banner, Installer Dialogs and Splash Screens
would generate some world class graphics? An idea, it just as easily could continue as now.

Regards,
Dave