incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Terms of Service on Forums
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:41:08 GMT
Dennis,

On Jul 16, 2012, at 11:57 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> I suggest that one not be so careless about asserting ASF copyright on third party materials.

> Why does this meme persist?
>
> Please consult Legal before doing anything so outrageous.

You cc'd legal-discuss while cutting out much of this whole email completely destroying all
context. (Please cc: ooo-dev since not all of us are going to subscribe to the list to participate
in this discussion.)

Context:

IANAL, but I believe that the whole webpage with the project's own banner, footer and navigation
can be copyright The ASF whether or not all content in between those elements may have another
copyright or none.

Often we don't know the copyright because Sun and Oracle did not keep these records together
- there is a list of copyright holders but no way of knowing if their material is still in
the site or not.

We believe that we have implied consent to use all the material from Oracle that is on www.openoffice.org
and related domains.

Dennis thinks it is outrageous to have an ASF copyright on these combined web pages, what
does legal-discuss think?

If this should be or already is a LEGAL JIRA issue then I am fine discussing it there.

Regards,
Dave