incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Armin Le Grand <armin_le_gr...@me.com>
Subject Re: Should quickstarter be enabled or disabled by default?
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2012 13:14:03 GMT
Hi Joost,

------------- Begin Message -------------
Group: gmane.comp.apache.incubator.ooo.devel
MsgID: <juqstl$5ph$1@dough.gmane.org>

Joost Andrae <Joost.Andrae@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Armin,
>

>> This would mean that it gets slower again after some time. I just did not
>> use AOO, but worked on something else ca. 1 1/2 Hrs after rebooting.
>> Nonetheless AOO started (doubleclicking the test document, no quickstarter,
>> last used after reboot) instantly. There must be some least-recently-used
>> thingy involved, I doubt that all dlls get kicked out after 10 min. Well,
>> may depend on mem available and other things, though...
>> I could not see it getting slower after 1 1/2 hours. If someone else has
>> seen this (without quickstarter, on Win) please comment here.
>>

> how about to use available MS VC++ addons regarding GPU computing to compile AOO like
MS does with its own Metro apps for Win8 ? And how about to invest some development resources
into adding AOO libs to Win7/Win8 system cache at install time instead of using the quickstarter
?

Interesting to hear that this is possible, thus it could be a good replacement for quickstarter.
It would (if I understand correctly) fill the only existing bad scenario without quickstarter,
the first start directly after system reboot.

> On my notebook (without HR's quickstarter) a document opens in 11 seconds without using
the quickstarter and it starts immediately if the office once started before. (Core2Duo 2.8
Ghz, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD).

Joost, thanks for the numbers. Not too bad, I think. Compared with some years ago the argument
for quickstarter has scaled down accordingly, I guess.

> Kind regards, Joost

Sincerely,
	Armin
--