incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Java download link on AOO site
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 23:25:55 GMT
Hi Hagar,

BTW - Kay has picked up what the real topic you brought here was, and this is something that
is much more for discussion than it is something to simply change.

On Jul 13, 2012, at 3:54 PM, Hagar Delest wrote:

> Le ven. 13 juil. 2012 07:01:58 CEST, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> a écrit
:
>> The biggest problem with this project is the prevalence of people who
>> are unskilled in the codebase occupying all the oxygen on the dev list.
>> This list, unlike the forums, is about project development, and teaching
>> others to behave in productive ways by *demonstrating* the behavior
>> you want to see from others here.
> I just can't believe it. Do you mean that I'm part of the prevalent people who pollute
this list?
> ROFLOL
>
> I don't have the time to learn another system again (as some have correctly guessed).
Period.
> Next time I report a bug, will you ask me to learn how to code and fix it myself???
>
> But thanks, lesson learned, I won't bother this list anymore with this kind of problem,
next time I'll file a bug report directly.

The only lesson anyone should take is that Joe is sometimes harsh. And it has been a difficult
process mentoring this project for a solid year.

I have time to fix what I can on the website from the reports that I see on this list ooo-dev.
I do not spend any time looking in Bugzilla for web reports.

This is a place to discuss what is going on in the community.

> I made the mistake to think that the target was to build a welcoming community where
the most skilled people could take over the job when less skilled ones could not.

It is, but we also want others (not necessarily you) to learn the easy things and even some
of the harder things with the CMS.

In the ooo-site's perl modules only Joe and I have done any commits that were not initial
or build triggering.

In the ooo-site's template directory we are up to 7 different people making commits so there
are more making changes.

I think for the ooo-site by rough count the number is over 20 different committers since the
3.4 release.

> BTW, thanks to the people who expressed their support and understanding about the limits
we all have to face at some point.

I think letting one person's responses chase you away is very unfortunate. If you don't like
something someone says just ignore it.

And I don't have time for this either.

Regards,
Dave