incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Grobmeier <grobme...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java download link on AOO site
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 03:59:24 GMT
On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 11:48 PM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello? Is this thing on?  This project has a whopping
> 9GB website that all of maybe 5 people on the planet
> know how to takecare of, and it is rife with stale
> information inherited from a different past.  The website
> is a *community* resource and that means *everyone* is
> responsible for its upkeep.  You should be working hard
> to ensure that *everyone* is capable of fixing it, not
> making exceptions for certain committers just because
> they do special things for you in other areas.  Anyone
> can use the CMS to submit a patch, and had Hagar done
> at least that much I wouldn't have anything to gripe about.
>

> The technology that facilitates website maintenance happens
> to be a CMS, but really it is no more challenging to work with
> than the average wiki.  Get over it, it's not a technological
> barrier for anyone capable of using a web browser, that means
> Hagar is part of the intended user base, despite his attitude
> towards it.

Joe, your tone is extremely rude and insulting. You want people to
learn/change something? Nobody wants to hear it that way. You wrote it
is Anti-Apache to not use the CMS. I consider it Anti-Apache the way
you write here.

Maybe the CMS is targeting Hagar. Instead of bashing Hagar for not
using it, probably you should think about why he is not using it and
improve the CMS. It is not so easy as a wiki. If you really think that
than you are clearly wrong (and I say that even when I start to like
it). If you need/want help with that, lets incubate the CMS.

Not every committer can deal with a CMS and this is actually no entry
barrier to become a committer. You can become a committer for other
reasons the technology, CMS use and such, like responding on the Forum
or writing valuable blog posts. Saying otherwise is just wrong. Hagar
has the same limited time for this project as many other people around
and he wants to spend it with other tasks. I really cannot find a
problem here and people haven shown that they can share their workload
and do it as a team - this IS the apache way. We are not alone on a
project and yes, you can ask other people to help you.

Cheers,

--
http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de