incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Registration
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 17:06:41 GMT
On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 12:53 PM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org> wrote:
> On 16/07/2012 21:14, sebb wrote:
>
>> On 16 July 2012 19:01, Rob Weir wrote:
>>>
>>> The registration URL's for OOo 3.3 look like this:
>>>
>>> https://registration2.services.openoffice.org/RegistrationWeb/register/<GUID>?prduct=OpenOffice.org&locale=en&cid-926117
>>> So we should be able to handle this entirely with ASF.
>

> I've seen (in 3.3.0, build 9567)
> http://survey.services.openoffice.org/user/index.php
> too.
>

>>> But I thought there was another version that went directly to an
>>> Oracle domain.  Maybe that was OOo 3.4 beta 1?
>

> OOo 3.4 beta 1 used something that currently redirects, for me, to
> https://hs-ws1.oracle.com/RegistrationWeb/registration/default/en_US/register-login.jsp?legacy=true&tgtPrd=OpenOffice.org&prd=registration&uuid=urn...e588
> but being a beta version it was installed by a small fraction of users, and
> anyway the page works (it is an Oracle account registration, which is
> probably useless to OpenOffice users, but is online).
>

>> I'm not suggesting that 3.4.0 be updated to include registration,
>> merely that it would be helpful to direct users of 3.3 to the new
>> version, and let them know that the registration step has not failed.
>

> So I'd propose to ask Infra to redirect the whole domains
> https://registration2.services.openoffice.org/
> http://registration2.services.openoffice.org/
> http://survey.services.openoffice.org/
> to something that explains that OpenOffice.org is now at Apache. I've looked
> at some options on the openoffice.org website, but the best candidate seems
> to be a blog post:
> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/openoffice_org_is_now_apache
>
> Does anyone have better links to propose? Otherwise I guess we can ask Infra
> to setup the redirection.

Anyone who has the access to the registration link is running an old
version of OpenOffice, right.  And they are probably just installing
the older version and seeing the registration link.  So I'd expect
that they would soon get a update prompt from within OpenOffice,
within a week, assuming they are using OOo 3.2, 3.2.1 or 3.3.0.  So in
those cases seem to be handled fine already.

The ones that are not covered by the above would be:

1) Someone using an earlier version of OOo (pre 3.2.0)

2) Someone using a version of OOo 3.3.0 or earlier that has not yet
been translated for AOO.

So it might make sense to send them to the download page?  Or a
custom/new page that says:

a) Thank you for installing OOo

b) OOo is now at Apache

c) The latest version is AOO 3.4.  You can get it here (give download link)

d) Useful extensions and templates are here (give links)

e) If you want to stay informed about new releases and other
announcements, here is our announcement link, Twitter account, etc.