incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Draft] The Public Service Mission of OpenOffice
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2012 15:30:38 GMT
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 1:47 AM, J├╝rgen Schmidt
<jogischmidt@googlemail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> day, and around 20% live on less than US$ 1 per day.  Against these
>> numbers, commercial shrink-wrapped office software is often seen as a
>> luxury good.  End-user facing open source software, like OpenOffice,
>> brings high-quality software to those who would otherwise have no
>> other affordable options.   Within the ICT for Development (ICT4D)
>> community, OpenOffice has long been an important part of achieving
>> development goals.
>>
>> ==Support for Linguistic and Cultural Diversity==
>>
>> There are over 6,000 languages in the world, but unless the language
>> is associated with a G20 economic superpower, commercial vendors tend
>> to ignore it.  The OpenOffice community has a long standing tradition
>> of supporting a large number of languages, including languages used by
>> smaller populations, minority languages, endangered languages, etc.
>> For example, South Africa has 11 official languages.  OpenOffice has
>> been translated to all of them.  By supporting languages that would
>> not otherwise be supported we help reduce "digital exclusion" and
>> promote development, local education and administration.
>>

> It shows me again how important it is to work for and with the l10n
> community to support all the languages where we had support before. I
> will start a campaign right after our 3.4.1 release drive this forward.
>
>> ==Accessibility==
>>
>> Persons with disabilities, especially those with visual impairments,
>> commonly rely on "assistive technology" to interact with computers.
>> Such technologies work well only when applications are designed and
>> coded to work well with them.  Additionally, users who create
>> documents must do their part to ensure that the documents they create
>> work well with assistive technology, for example through the use of
>> image captions, consistent list levels, etc.  OpenOffice provides
>> strong accessibility support, including broader ecosystem support via
>> extensions, for working with Braille printers, exporting to DAISY
>> talking books, etc.
>>
>> ==Open Standards==
>>
>> Open standards are those standards which are created in an open,
>> transparent process, where the specifications can be freely accessed
>> and implemented without royalties.  Most core web standards are open
>> standards.  The default document format in OpenOffice, OpenDocument
>> Format (ODF) is also an open standard.   Widespread use of open
>> standards promotes interoperability and choice in the market.  But
>> this does not come without effort on our part.  We commit to faithful
>> implementation of open standards, and to work with standards
>> organizations and other vendors to improve these standards and to test
>> and improve interoperability.
>>

> As Donald mentioned already it might be worse to add a short paragraph
> about extensibility and the programability at all that helps to adapt
> OpenOffice to special needs, or integrate AOO in other important products.

I've put the draft up on the wiki and made a few tweaks based on
comments received so far:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/%28Draft%29+The+Public+Service+Mission+of+OpenOffice

I'd encouraged anyone interested to help improve this statement.

-Rob