incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [QE] AOO 3.4.1 First Snapshot build PVT Report
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 14:49:51 GMT
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 9:54 AM, Yi Xuan Liu <liuyixuan.527@gmail.com> wrote:
> The reason of removing the first round result is that we found that the
> first round result is much different from other rounds. It is usually
> slower to open the sample file at the first time. So, we could view the
> first round result as an outlier and removed it when computing the average
> and standard deviation.  However, the first round is also important for
> user experience. Maybe, we could list the first round performance
> separately.

That's what I was wondering as well.  If the first run is slow because
you are loading additional software needed to measure the test runs,
then it is fair to discard the first run.  But if the first run is
slow because of I/O related to loading the AOO code or the document,
then that is real and part of the real user experience.

> As for the second value, t-test is a good suggestion and I'll research on
> it and use it in the following test. Thanks!

Here is a spreadsheet demonstrating the approach I use when doing
performance comparisons:

http://people.apache.org/~robweir/perf/perf-compare.ods

It uses the chart to give a visual indication of whether the measured
differences are within the range of expected variability, or whether
they are are "real".

-Rob