incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <>
Subject [VOTE][DISCUSS]: Release Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 (incubating)
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2012 15:50:09 GMT
On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Jürgen Schmidt
<> wrote:
> Hi,
> a further note for our PPMC members. I have started the vote for 3.4.1
> with this email and the vote should happen on the public ooo-dev mailing
> list. Any QA efforts can and should continue during the voting process.
> We should also focus on the improvement of the release notes to provide
> as much as possible useful information why people should update etc.
> I am not sure how we can include the fix of security issues in the
> release notes or when the best time is to include this information. The
> wiki page becomes converted into a static html page with the release.

We'll communicate the details of security fixes via the CVE reporting
mechanism, after a release is made.  Announcements would be made to
project's lists including ooo-dev, ooo-users and ooo-announce, as well
as to special industry mailing lists for tracking security fixes.  But
these occur only after a release is made public.

I think it is fine to mention generically "security fixes" in the
release notes, along with other generic areas (performance
improvements, bug fixes, etc.).  But no more detail than that.

> Juergen
> On 7/30/12 5:26 PM, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> this is a call for vote on releasing the following candidate as Apache
>> OpenOffice 3.4.1 (incubating). This will be our first bug fix release
>> after the AOO 3.4 from May 8th. A further milestone to show that we
>> deliver good and stable software with focus on quality. It will again
>> help to continue the success of and will gain confidence
>> in OpenOffice.
>> This time I did not prepare a separate page to highlighting the release
>> candidate. We had developer snapshot since several weeks and the latest
>> one based on revision 1366353 is intended to become released if the
>> voting succeeds. That means and to make it clear you vote here on the
>> final release based on this snapshot build.
>> This release is intended to be a bug fix release and to introduce some
>> further languages:
>> (1) 64 issues are fixed and a detailed list can be watched under
>> (2) 5 further languages are now officially supported: British English,
>> Khmer, Slovenian, Slovak, and Finnish.
>> For a detailed feature overview please see the release notes under
>> The release candidate artifacts (source release, as well as binary
>> releases for 20 languages) and further information how to verify and
>> review Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1 (incubating) can be found on the
>> following wiki page:
>> Please vote on releasing this package as Apache OpenOffice 3.4.1
>> (incubating).
>> The vote starts now and will be open until:
>>    Thursday, 2 August: 2012-08-02 6:00pm UTC+2.
>> After the vote of the PPMC the vote will start on
>> mailing and will be open for further 72 hours.
>> But we invite all people to vote (non binding) on this RC. We would like
>> to provide a release that is supported by the majority of our project
>> members.
>>    [ ] +1 Release this package as Apache OpenOffice 3.4 (incubating)
>>    [ ]  0 Don't care
>>    [ ] -1 Do not release this package because...

View raw message