incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google Analytics Calls [Was: Re: CSS debugging (ability to read Polish might help)]
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2012 15:38:32 GMT
On Sat, Jul 21, 2012 at 7:16 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Are you ready to for Google Analytics on every page of ooo-site? If so, then the plan
is below - which will finish a change that Ariel started.

> On Jul 21, 2012, at 3:17 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

>>> well good -- how industrious of you! :)

>>> I saw that Rob intended (and did remove some old stuff) but I don't know if
>>> that is what caused the problem.  I think it was bad HTML syntax to begin
>>> with that caused the automatic insertions (for the content div tag) to
>>> function incorrectly.
>>>

>> Right.  I've never seen this page look right.   You can try removing
>> the GA code, but nothing there touches CSS, and it comes after both of
>> the CSS imports, so I don't see how it could be the issue here.

>> It is supposed to be the last item in the <head>.  It wasn't clear
>> whether this could be added via the template.
>
> Here is part of ooo-site/templates/skeleton.html
>
> {% if header %}
> {% autoescape off %}{{ header }}{% endautoescape %}{% else %}
> <title>{% block title %}{{ headers.title }}{% endblock %}</title>
> {% if headers.css %}<link href="{{ headers.css }}" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">{%
endif %}

> <script type="text/javascript">
>     var _gaq = _gaq || [];
>     _gaq.push(['_setAccount', 'UA-30193653-1']);
>     _gaq.push(['_setDomainName', 'openoffice.org']);
>     _gaq.push(['_trackPageview']);
>
>     (function() {
>         var ga = document.createElement('script'); ga.type = 'text/javascript'; ga.async
= true;
>         ga.src = ('https:' == document.location.protocol ? 'https://ssl' : 'http://www')
+ '.google-analytics.com/ga.js';
>         var s = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; s.parentNode.insertBefore(ga,
s);
>     })();
> </script>
> {% endif %}
>
> Here header is null if the file is mdtext and not null otherwise.
>
> If the {% endif %} is moved above the script then it will always be added.
>
> I would instead change this to:
>
> {% if header %}
> {% autoescape off %}{{ header }}{% endautoescape %}{% else %}
> <title>{% block title %}{{ headers.title }}{% endblock %}</title>
> {% if headers.css %}<link href="{{ headers.css }}" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">{%
endif %}
> {% endif %}
> <!--#include virtual="/google_analytics.ssi" -->
>
> And then put the google analytics code in: ooo-site/trunk/content/google_analytics.ssi

It should be possible to work with MDText as well.  I added it this
way to the incubator site a while ago:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ooo/site/trunk/templates/skeleton.html

The instructions from Google say to put it immediately before the
closing </head>.  We have additional complexity here, since some HTML
pages don't have a <head> and some do.

> Warning this is a sledgehammer and at a similar moment all of the google analytics code
can be removed. I suppose done properly the doubles won't matter much, but ....

Right.  So we should coordinate on a date/time.   I can prepare the
unwrapping of the manual GA locally and be ready to check that in.
Then it should be a matter of checking in your template changes, and
forcing an update on the server.

> BTW - This was Ariel's change to add GS to the head in the template/skeleton - it's nice
to see some else making a change!