incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CWS swbookmarkfixes01 rebasing and licensing
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 11:53:25 GMT
On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 7:17 AM, Bjoern Michaelsen
<bjoern.michaelsen@canonical.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> back in my Oracle days I did some work in CWS swbookmarkfixes01 which would
> be convenient not having to recreate. According to:
>
>  http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-general/201106.mbox/%3CBANLkTikvBFNr1ViwqYw1+sPZf68ZX5GZ7g@mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> ownership of the CWS is now at ASF. So two simple questions:

Where do you read that?  I don't see that statement.  I see Andrew
saying, "We are trying to provide all of the Oracle owned content in
the OOo repositories."  "Trying" is not the same as an SGA.  I'm
trying to lose weight.  But I can assure you my doctor will trust what
the scale says more than my stated intentions.

> - Is this (my) work in this CWS released under AL2 to the public already with
>   this?
> - If not and I do the work to re-base this CWS against master, and have it
>   checked into an Apache SVN branch will the work then be immediately
>   available under the ALv2 license?

You say "(my) work".  If it is indeed your IP, then you can do with it
as you wish, right?  You could make it ALv2 with or without checking
it into SVN.  But if it is not your IP, and your right to contribute
the code is questionable, then checking it into SVN would just provoke
someone to delete the code.

In any case, the act of checking in the code does not give the
committer any more rights to set a license on the code then they
started with.

Also, isn't this essentially the same question that was raised by
Michael Meeks a couple of months ago?   At that point I think the
recommendation was for RedHat or SUSE or TDF to talk to Oracle about
this, since they are the rights owner.

-Rob