incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RELEASE][3.4.1]: Preparing release notes
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2012 16:52:27 GMT
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM, J├╝rgen Schmidt
> <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> ok AOO 3.4.1 won't be a feature release but nevertheless I think we
>> should prepare release notes to give a user friendly overview of what is
>> going into our upcoming 3.4.1 release.
>>
>> I have created a new (more or less empty) wiki page to start working on
>> the release notes for 3.4.1.
>>

>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Release+Notes
>>
>> The following query list all fixed blocker issues for 3.4.1 and can be
>> used as input for the release notes.
>>
>> Any volunteers who are interested to start working on it?
>>
>> Juergen
>>

> Final call for contributions on this!
>
> Currently:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Release+Notes
>
> is rather short (and hopefully sweet).
>
> A final call for submissions. We should probably plan on finalizing by
> Friday pm (1800 PDT) if at all possible.
>
> The release notes are typically in "html" and ported to the web site, so
> this wiki page will need to be converted by the time of the 3.4.1 release.
> I think this is still slated for the coming Tuesday, July 31

It would be good to first freeze the content, and then have some time
to edit the release notes.  I just took an initial pass now, but I'd
like the opportunity to do more work once the basic content is
complete.

Remember what we saw from the AOO 3.4.0 release.  Most press articles
will be written based directly on what we state in the release notes
and in our release announcement.  So we need to ensure that the
content is accurate and useful to the user, but also to the
journalist.

An example of one kind of issue:  we list the new languages and the
updated languages, but not the languages that are carried over from
3.4.0.  Similarly we say there are no new platforms, but we don't list
what platforms are supported.   Not all users are upgrading from
3.4.0.  Some will see AOO for the first time with 3.4.1.  So we should
be giving more information, the full picture.  For example:
additional languages are available via language packs, more templates
and extensions can be found here, etc.

Again, I can help edit and fill in the details, once we have the basic
technical contents for the AOO 3.4.1 added.

-Rob