incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Crazy idea of the day: Guest Blog Posts
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 18:59:07 GMT
So far we've used our blog as a project blog, with an editorial voice
that one could call "the voice of the project".  We use it for
official announcements, updates, etc.  This is perfectly fine, and we
can keep it that way.  But the volume of posts is rather low.

I've tried to supplement it by interviews of others in the project or
the broader ecosystem.  But even though everyone thought this was a
great idea, I seem to be the only one doing this.

So, another idea is to allow guest posts from others in the ecosystem,
project members, users, consultants, extension authors, etc.

We could set some parameters to prevent problems.  For example, we
could accept drafts to the mailing list and a volunteer Editor would
help edit the posts to our standards.  The PMC would maintain
editorial control via normal means (reviewing posts before they go
live).  We would require the post be relevant to the project, helpful
to users in their use of OpenOffice, and not be entirely a commercial
product pitch.  For example, we could limit posts to one link back to
the author's (or company's) homepage or product page.

What do you think?  If we allowed this, would we get more blog
submissions?  Would it help the overall ecosystem?

-Rob