incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Crazy idea of the day: Guest Blog Posts
Date Fri, 20 Jul 2012 02:38:47 GMT
On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 5:41 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> So far we've used our blog as a project blog, with an editorial voice
>> that one could call "the voice of the project".  We use it for
>> official announcements, updates, etc.  This is perfectly fine, and we
>> can keep it that way.  But the volume of posts is rather low.
>>
>> I've tried to supplement it by interviews of others in the project or
>> the broader ecosystem.  But even though everyone thought this was a
>> great idea, I seem to be the only one doing this.
>>
>> So, another idea is to allow guest posts from others in the ecosystem,
>> project members, users, consultants, extension authors, etc.
>>
>> We could set some parameters to prevent problems.  For example, we
>> could accept drafts to the mailing list and a volunteer Editor would
>> help edit the posts to our standards.  The PMC would maintain
>> editorial control via normal means (reviewing posts before they go
>> live).  We would require the post be relevant to the project, helpful
>> to users in their use of OpenOffice, and not be entirely a commercial
>> product pitch.  For example, we could limit posts to one link back to
>> the author's (or company's) homepage or product page.
>>
>> What do you think?  If we allowed this, would we get more blog
>> submissions?  Would it help the overall ecosystem?
>>
>> -Rob
>>

> I like this idea...I'm not sure how to solicit input -- announcement list?
> users list?, but it sounds good. I, personally, am not a blogger and do not
> care to be interviewed. But, we may find some user fans who would like
> nothing better to say a few things.

If we wanted to do this, I think we could kick it off like this:

1) Write up some guidelines for authors, e.g., what kind of blog posts
are appropriate, etc.  I assume a post from IBM about new extensions
we have for AOO would be fine, but an IBM post claiming Symphony is
better than AOO and asking everyone to download Symphony would not be
OK.

2) A blog post inviting guest posts

3) Promote the blog post via the usual channels, twitter, Facebook,
Google+, maybe even ooo-announce or something on our home page.

I think it could work, but only if we have another 1 or 2 volunteer
editors who are willing to help edit and publish the posts.  I can't
do it all myself.

-Rob