incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Google Analytics Calls [Was: Re: CSS debugging (ability to read Polish might help)]
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2012 18:13:12 GMT
On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 1:30 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jul 22, 2012, at 10:08 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

If so,

I don't

HTML

>> We have over 1000 pages with broken <head>'s.  The main issue is they
>> don't have a <title>, and having a <title> is mandatory in HTML.
>> Browsers don't treat it as a fatal error, but it does lead to
>> suboptimal treatment in search engines.  Aside from lacking an
>> important clue about the contents of the page, the search engine also
>> expects to use the title to display in the search results page.  It
>> also breaks things when user bookmarks page, sends to a friend in FB
>> or Google+, etc.  Generally a bad thing not to have a <title>.
>
> OK, not the same as no head. Let me think about this. There are two approaches.

A head is just a container.  Its what's inside the head that counts.
<title> is the most important thing that should be there.

> (1) Identify the pages and insert <title> ... </title> tags in the source.
Preferred, but tedious.

The goal should be to have a useful title from the human reader
perspective.  A synthetic title might work in some cases, but not all.
 For example one heuristic might be to take the first <h1> and make
that also be the title.

One probably to note:  Google penalizes pages that don't have a title,
but also pages where the title is not related to the contents or where
a website has too many pages with the same title.

> (2) Extract the title from the source and assure that one is always provided from the
view.pm functions to the template.

> I'll look at (2). It will involve perl in lib/view.pm along with changes to the templates.
>
> (a) In single_narrative check for headers.title and if missing create one.
> (b) In html_page. Extract the title and remove from the header extracted from the source
html. If missing create a title.
> (c) Skeleton template is changed to expect the headers.title to be set.
>
> OK. Some more to do. I'll let you know if I am ready tomorrow night or Tuesday. This
one is complex enough that I am going to work on it locally beforehand.

We could do this in stages if you want.  We don't need to solve the
title problem immediately.  Of course, if you have a wicked awesome
solution...

> Any other head items that you would like to control from mdtext and or html heads?

meta "description" is another important one from SEO perspective.  No
need to create a synthetic one.  But where it exists Google can use it
to provide the "snippet" exerpt of the page contents on their search
results, in cases where it is hard for them to figure out what the
page is about.  For example, if a page is mainly one big graphical
image with not much text.  Or tabular info or JavaDoc or other API
doc.  The meta description can be hoisted into the search results and
make it more obvious to the  viewing the search results what the page
is about.

I don't think this is an issue for HTML in the CMS.  Meta description
appears to be preserved.   But I have not tried it in MDtext, to see
if it works there.

Not urgent, but something to consider.

-Rob

wrote:

> [...]