incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: comments.apache.org
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2012 23:37:34 GMT
On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 7:05 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jul 9, 2012, at 3:39 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
>> This looks interesting/useful:   https://comments.apache.org/
>>
>> Would this make sense for our core files under /ooo-site ?
>
> This is very cool.
>
> I think it can be used effectively on the API site, why, downloads, and many other parts
of ooo-site.

> I would not add this to any NL sites without proper moderators.

I would not put it on the main home page or the download page, or
similar pages where the extreme volume would almost certainly lead to
large numbers of out-of-place support questions being posted.    On a
page with 5 million+ monthly hits, all it takes is 0.1% user confusion
for us to get flooded.

But it would probably work for API pages, or building guide,  pages
that are technical instructions.   Release notes or install
instructions would be other examples, albeit with much greater
traffic.

> I would start with one or two pages to get the formula correct. Once found turning the
page on will become part of the site template and controlled from the ssi.mdtext in the templates
dir.

It would be good to know also how we manage this as pages are revised
and when we use this versus anonymous CMS.  For example, if a user
puts a comment that says, "Step X should really say 'foo'", then if we
later modify that page, then we have the extra step of going back to
delete the comment, I assume.

In any case, might make sense to pilot this in a small, focused way to
see how users will use it.

But certainly exciting possibilities!

-Rob