incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Registration
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2012 18:01:11 GMT
On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 1:13 PM, sebb <sebbaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 July 2012 17:26, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 12:06 PM, Barry Storah <barrystorah@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I keep getting a message to "Register Your OpenOffice.org", it is not possible
as I always get the message - Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage, or from OpenOffice
welcome page - get more information "the webpage cannot be found".

>> Hi Barry,
>>
>> It sounds like you are installing an old version of OpenOffice.  The
>> current version is 3.4 and it does not have a registration screen.
>> You can download the latest version from
>> http://download.openoffice.org.
>>
>> If for some reason you need to install the older version, you will get
>> the behavior you reported.  The registration went to a Sun/Oracle
>> website that no longer is up.  You can safely ignore that error.
>
> Would it be possible to get the destination URL re-instated?

The registration URL's for OOo 3.3 look like this:

https://registration2.services.openoffice.org/RegistrationWeb/register/<GUID>?prduct=OpenOffice.org&locale=en&cid-926117

So we should be able to handle this entirely with ASF.

But I thought there was another version that went directly to an
Oracle domain.  Maybe that was OOo 3.4 beta 1?

The question is:  what could we do if even a fraction of the 8 million
downloads of AOO 3.4.0 led to a registration?  Suggest they join the
ooo-announce list?  (Can ezmlm handle 100,000 subscribers?)  Follow us
on Twitter?  At the very least we can point them to the FAQ's and
support pages.

If there is some way we can help users by having them view a
post-install registration screen, then we might add the registration
step back in future versions.

-Rob