incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: On parks, commons, and websites... and fun (or lack of)
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2012 15:27:42 GMT
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 10:31 AM, Joe Schaefer <joe_schaefer@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

Hi Joe,  I think that any calm, deliberate, factual analysis would
come to a similar conclusion.  But in this case I think it was more a
matter of tone and other intangible aspects of the post.    When I saw
your original note -- which was a week ago -- I cringed, like when
hearing a bad note in an orchestra.

But just like in an orchestra, we need to all just play on.  If it
turns into a long debate about who played the wrong note and why and
whether it was even really a bad note -- nothing good comes from this.
The time wasted on this is time we should be spending on playing the
next note.

The weird thing here is that your original note was a week ago.
Ordinarily I'd expect that emotions would cool down, and any perceived
affront would diminish over time.  But in this case a week passes and
we have a resignation.  That is odd to me.

The failure here, IMHO, is that we're not thinking broadly enough to
accept two assertions simultaneously:

1) That Joe is right in pushing for more people, especially AOO
committers, to help maintain the website

and

2) Hagar is right in believing that he is a volunteer and can do as
much or as little as he pleases

or

A) Someone reporting a website defect does some good for the project,
even if they don't take the extra step of fixing the defect themselves

and

B) Someone encouraging others to use the CMS to fix website defects
themselves is doing good for the project, even if occasionally there
are some who do not want to use the CMS

Both statements are true.  They are not in conflict.  If we
acknowledge both as true, I don't see the remaining issue.

-Rob