incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Weir <robw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Draft] The Public Service Mission of OpenOffice
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 13:07:41 GMT
On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Ariel Constenla-Haile
<arielch@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Jürgen, *,
>
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 07:47:42AM +0200, Jürgen Schmidt wrote:
>> On 7/17/12 6:03 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>> > I'd like to see if we can agree on a statement along these lines.  I
>> > think it is important that we show how our project aligns with
>> > Apache's overall mission, which the apache.org home page phrases as:
>> > "provides support for the Apache community of open-source software
>> > projects, which provide software products for the public good."
>> >
>> > I think we do and always have been strongly aligned with this goal.
>> > But still, sometimes, we're questioned about our emphasis on
>> > distributing binaries, or seeking support for items related to
>> > distributing binaries.  In some ways we're the oddball at Apache,
>> > being the only prominent end-user facing project.  So I think it will
>> > help if we can express in clear terms how what we are doing is in fact
>> > for the public good, and our aims and achievements are at least as
>> > noble as what any other Apache project can claim.
>>
>> I totally agree and that is of course the most annoying point here at
>> Apache for me. But that is another topic and not for this thread.
>
> I guess it is because in Apache, so far, the idea was to provide
> software for the public good in form of source, for others to build
> their solutions upon. In OpenOffice's case, distributing binaries is
> also for the public good, not only for the reason mentioned by Rob, but
> mainly because OpenOffice provides a way to build your solution on top
> of its binary distribution with extensions, without needing to compile
> the source yourself, nor learn/modify a single line of code.

This is a good point.  I remember reading, years ago, in a magazine
called "Computer Languages" (now defunct) about a survey they did of
corporate programmers, seeing what the most popular programming
language was.  This was 1992 or so.  The answer was not C, not COBOL,
but the 1-2-3 Macro language.   Today maybe such a survey would say
Javascript?

But the meaning is clear;:  there are more application developers than
system developers.  And more script developers than application
developers.  The closer you get to "end user programming" the larger
your audience is and the more people you are helping.  You could think
of the spreadsheet itself as support end-user programming.