incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ian Lynch <ianrly...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion - file format
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:20:34 GMT
On 11 July 2012 09:23, Joost Andrae <Joost.Andrae@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> people who want to have MS Office file formats as default storage format
> can configure it within the dialog
>
> /tools/options/load~save/**general/
>
> Please bear in mind that MS Office file formats are not OpenOffice's
> generic formats. OpenOffice needs to import/export them and it's not
> guaranteed that these formats are supported by 100 per cent. Using the ODF
> file format loading and saving is always safer and faster.

The ODF format is used by millions of users worldwide not only by using
> OpenOffice but by using a lot of other programs that make use of this OASIS
> and ISO approved document format.

+1 odf is likely to be still used after MS Office and OOo are long gone.
Even if there were short term benefits in defaulting to MS Formats we need
to be thinking longer term. We are in a transition from proprietary data
systems to open standards and the need for internet interoperability is
driving it. The internet is bigger than MS (or any other company/project)
for that matter. Change is difficult for many people but it is a fact of
life and the bigger longer term well being of the project is to go with the
open systems/open standards flow.

--
Ian

www.theINGOTs.org +44 (0)1827 305940