incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Madden <gomadtr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next steps for Symphony and AOO
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 06:25:47 GMT
On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 8:39 AM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:

> --- Gio 12/7/12, Ariel Constenla-Haile <arielch@apache.org> ha scritto:
>> >
>> > I think we all agree two years is a lot of time.
>> > We can always start with option I and re-evaluate
>> > later on.
>> >
>> > I would propose the following:
>> >
>> > For 3.x Release (x>4) we go option I merging only
>> > the things that are easy and perhaps a restricted
>> > set of CWSs. No UI or drastic changes.
>> >
>> > For 4.x we go for option II and rebase on Symphony.
>> > Part of what was done for 3.5+ will likely be useful
>> > here.
>>
>> I still don't understand what ground you have to support
>> rebasing on Symphony, because as you have answered me
>> before, you didn't try the  build they made, nor
>> finished building by yourself. So, unless you
>> started reading the C++ source code, your support is
>> completely unjustified.
>>

> My current proposal is to continue option I and
> re-evaluate option II next year.
>
> I have been very busy on another project, and you might
> have noticed that I haven't done anything on AOO lately
> either but by next year we will surely get the Symphony
> build issues fixed and we can make a more educated
> decision.
>
> There's no way 4.0 will make it this year so I
> don't think my proposal is at all disruptive.
>
> Pedro.

I have been testing the Symphony deb packages. The 'properties' area
is a nice feature, not compelling enough to re-base AOO on Symphony.
AOO has progressed, new feaures that I use more than the 'properties
area'.

The drop down list for 'open document' on the initial screen with all
apps is missing.  'Tools>Openoffice,org>View>User Interface>Scaleing'
is not included.

I am not interested in losing features that I have incorporated in my
work flow, for promises of a 'better whatever'

Document fidelity has been outstanding in AOO , add Symphony feaures
to AOO if appropriate, by user demand not from the top down.

--
Peace

Greg Madden