incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shenfeng Liu <liush...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Next steps for Symphony and AOO
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 06:28:23 GMT
Hi, all,
It was 4 weeks since Rob raised the topic, and there were a lot of
discussions.

I'm so glad to see that people got more familiar with the values in the
code contributed from Symphony, tried it out, and liked to see those values
to be integrated into AOO future releases. I treat it as a big recognition
to Symphony team.

While per my reading from the discussion, we generally agreed that the
favorite way of integrating the values is to continuously merging Symphony
into AOO, feature by feature. This way is good for community's growth and
emotion, keeping strong support to the large OpenOffice users base as well
as many BPs, and avoiding the technical uncertainty of the code base switch.

I also noticed that this thread is no longer as active as 2 weeks before.
So I suggest we close this topic, and move on following the current
direction we agreed.

We already have a successfully 3.4, and 3.4.1 is coming soon. And we can
notice that many people are actively working on the trunk for the next
release. I think it is time for us to discuss the target and plan for the
next release now. It is long way to go, but as RGB ES quoted, "walking slow
you'll arrive far". With more contributors, we will have bigger steps to
bring Symphony value in and develop new features.

Overall, my suggestion is: close this discussion thread, and kick off a new
topic for the discussion of our next release.

Thanks!

- Simon