incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Shenfeng Liu <>
Subject [RELEASE] Next Release - 3.4.2? 3.5? 4.0?
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:07:33 GMT
Hi, all,
  Since we are stepping forward to the 3.4.1 release smoothly, I think
maybe it is time for us to look ahead for our next release now.

  I remember we had a discussion previously on how to run AOO's future
releases, time boxed vs content boxed, 3.4.1 vs 3.5 vs 4.0... I think we
should resume this discussion.

  IMHO, timely release will give AOO a very good promotion to marketing.
Certainly we can decide the size of the release. We released 3.4 at May 8,
and then will release 3.4.1 after about 3 months. It looks like a very good
rhythm. Maybe we can consider a 3.4.2 in 4Q, 3.5 in 1Q next year...

  Another way to consider is the release contents. Checking the feature
requirement list and defect backlog, see what we can make after 3 months or
6 months. Or if there is any thing must be in the next release no matter
how long it will take (e.g. security fix). We partially did this practice
before by collecting the 4.0 requirements in wiki:
And I remember there was a common interesting at that time that we
do an immediate release for critical defect fixes (which is 3.4.1 that we
are doing now), and then a mid-term release which majorly target to
fidelity improvements (3.5), and a long term release with Symphony values
on UX and social integrations (4.0)...

  I'm not sure how to do a release proposal. Is that we should create a
project wiki and discuss the release goals, contents, outlook GA date? And
if we agree on this release, we move on. If we do not agree, we abandon it?

  I'm asking because I want to propose that:

(1) We should begin to check if any critical defects in our backlog that
require us for a 3.4.2.

(2) We should begin to discuss a bigger release like 3.5 on the release
goals, and proposed contents, and the release number...

  Just my 2 cents... Any suggestion/comments?

- Simon