incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Harbison <dpharbi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Some requests... ApacheCon and OpenOffice
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2012 19:45:32 GMT
Thanks Ross.

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 12:44 PM, Ross Gardler
<rgardler@opendirective.com>wrote:

> The ApacheCon CFP closes on Aug 3rd. I'd like to float some ideas for
> sessions that I would love to see there. I'm not equipped to deliver
> sessions on AOO so I'm pitching them here in case someone wants to
> submit them. If I am interested then maybe others are too.
>
> First off, here's some info about the OpenOffice
> conference-within-a-conference:
> https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/entry/apache_openoffice_conference_within_a
>
> The CFP is at http://www.apachecon.eu/cfp/
>
> Note that there is travel assistance available to those who would be
> otherwise unable to attend. There is no guarantee of getting
> assistance as it is evaluated on a needs basis, but if your employer
> can't pay for your expenses you might want to consider applying for
> TAC, see http://www.apache.org/travel/

I've contacted TAC chair and will report back here wrt next steps and
procedures for reviewing/awarding
TAC support to members of the extended Apache OpenOffice family; i.e.
presenters, and participants
of our track at ACE.

> When I go to conferences I personally prefer sessions that are less
> about presentation and more about engaging with one another. So I'd
> love to see some sessions aimed at cross-project collaboration. One of
> the great things about Apache is the breadth of projects we have here.
> Cross-pollination is often valuable. Sessions designed to do this tend
> to be small, probably 2-5 people per project. The goal would be to
> explore the potential for collaboration between projects.
> Unfortunately, as I write we are not sure of how flexible the venue is
> in terms of space use (there is a site visit tomorrow) but we might be
> able to accomodate some intimate sessions like these. I'm hoping that
> we can create some smaller spaces to allow this kind of session to
> work.
>
> What we need is someone to own them. That means touch base with the
> projects in question and check someone will be there and then propose
> the session in the CFP. That someone will also need coordinate
> preparations and chair the sessions on the day. An example session
> (which is completely made up as an example I don't know if there is
> genuine value in this, but I'd like to explore it...)
>
> "OpenSocial implementations, such as Apache Shindig, open
> opportunities to share mini-applications across various platforms. If
> Apache OpenOffice were to embed Shindig services then it could provide
> social integration features such as messaging, collaborative research
> and expertise discovery. Such social applications could be integrated
> with document content and meta-data to provide automated
> cross-pollination opportunities (e.g. an activity stream that
> indicates Jane is working on a document that has some similar content
> to Joe's). Furthermore, by enabling such features using OpenSocial it
> becomes possible to extend AOO UI features into other applications
> that act as a host, such as dashboards built using Apache Rave or
> document management systems. Similar results can be achieved by
> adopting the W3C Widget packaging standards as implemented by Apache
> Wookie, also used in Rave.

Great example! I hope someone steps forward with a proposal in this arena.