incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Ariel Constenla-Haile <arie...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Next steps for Symphony and AOO
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2012 16:28:59 GMT
On Thu, Jul 12, 2012 at 12:52 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
>> Ideally, finally there will be little difference between
>> "OpenOffice plus Symphony"and "Symphony plus OpenOffice"
>> when we totally integrated the values from both side.
>> But I can see in 2 years or even longer time, we can
>> not make it. So there will be quite big differences.
>>

> I think we all agree two years is a lot of time.
> We can always start with option I and re-evaluate
> later on.
>
> I would propose the following:
>
> For 3.x Release (x>4) we go option I merging only
> the things that are easy and perhaps a restricted
> set of CWSs. No UI or drastic changes.
>
> For 4.x we go for option II and rebase on Symphony.
> Part of what was done for 3.5+ will likely be useful
> here.

I still don't understand what ground you have to support rebasing on
Symphony, because as you have answered me before, you didn't try the
build they made, nor finished building by yourself. So, unless you
started reading the C++ source code, your support is completely
unjustified.

It's just like people talking in this thread about revolutionary
changes in the Symphony contribution... someone should point at facts,
not simply words.

The most prominent UI change I see is the property sidebar, that in
indeed something new, but not revolutionary, and even worse, in
several aspects is an involution from what OpenOffice has been
offering its users.

Regards