incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Damjan Jovanovic <damjan....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2012 17:26:25 GMT
On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 7:09 PM, suhail ansari <suhailazaz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Fernando Cassia <fcassia@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 1:09 PM, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@apache.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Plus, some modern platforms don't want Java at all :(.
>>
>> Ther's an OpenJDK port for the Nokia N9.
>> That's modern in my book.
>>
>> I guess that by "modern" you mean "locked" platforms. That's not
>> progress nor modern, in my book.
>>
>> FC
>>

> As far as I know the only modern platform that doesn't support Java is iOS.
> 99% platform support Java. Java is the second most popular plugin after
> flash. Flash is being phased out and HTML5 is used these days. One major
> reason to rewrite OpenOffice in Java because Java support many languages
> (Scala, Jython, JRuby). JavaFX is moder UI framework for Java that also
> support HTML5. It will be easier to support a Java based OpenOffice due to
> Java's cross platform nature.

If you really need only Java on some platform, compilers like LLJVM
(da.vidr.cc/projects/lljvm/) and NestedVM (http://nestedvm.ibex.org/)
can compile C/C++ into Java bytecode.
The opposite - from Java into native assembly - can be done by any AOT
compiler like GCJ; this could even work on iOS.
There is no need to rewrite 10 million lines in 80000 files.