incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Clarence GUO <clarence.guo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: development question of future feature
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 06:52:54 GMT
I think new UI means three aspects.
One is about usability which make UI easier to use. Sidebar of Symphony is
a good illustration. Symphony has another good improvement which drew less
attentions, that is it reorganised the menus and toolbars(only on Java
build version). The layout of menus and toolbars in Symphony is more
reasonable I think. For example, the entry of define range name is from
"Create" main menu in Symphony, but that of AOO locates in "Data" main
menu. Symhony is better, because define range name will create a new name
but actions under "Data" main menu are all related to concrete data
operations.
Here I want to discuss the other two aspects(visual design and resources).
Maybe I missed some discussions, but I saw many discussions only focus on
the first aspect.
We also need a new visual design. Nowadays the the popular UI style is
transparent + gradient effect, large and simplified icons, light colors,
some animation effects, and so on. Our UI style is quite old. The visual
design will give users the first feeling. So it is as important as the
first aspect.
And our resources are quite old too. Here the resources I mean gallery,
templates of Presentaion master pages and so on. We really need to update
them.
 I really hope new AOO3.5 or 4.0 can attract my eyes when I first see it.