incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Create a Translator Role
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2012 22:11:22 GMT
On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 1:17 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Jul 7, 2012, at 1:04 PM, Rob Weir wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 3:37 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net>
> wrote:
> >> I'd like to propose that the project consider a special level of
> Committer called Translator.
> >>
> >> These individuals will need to meet the following requirements:
> >>
> >> (1) Sign an ICLA and have it on file.
> >> (2) Be sponsored by a member of the PPMC.
> >>
> >> Once a sponsor is found.
> >>
> >> (A) The Sponsor starts a VOTE thread for Translator by the PPMC on
> ooo-private.
> >> (B) With a successful VOTE an Apache ID is requested.
> >>

> > I'd suggest just doing it by lazy consensus, without the ceremony of a
> > vote thread, a discussion thread,  a required mentor vote, cross
> > posting to IPMC private and related overhead.  In other words, treat
> > it like the Subversion project does with its "partial committers":
>
> We can live with the extra formality until graduation.
>
> We agree that as a TLP this extra overhead is reduced in any case.
>
> > "A full committer sponsors the partial committer. Usually this means
> > the full committer has applied several patches to the same area from
> > the proposed partial committer, and realizes things would be easier if
> > the person were just committing directly. Approval is not required
> > from the full committers; it is assumed that sponsors know what
> > they're doing and will watch the partial committer's first few commits
> > to make sure everything's going smoothly."
> >
> > http://subversion.apache.org/docs/community-guide/roles.html
>
> Keep in mind that this is a project that came to The ASF as an actively
> working project. This arrangement was grandfathered into Apache Subversion.
>

> >> The Apache ID is setup just like for a Committer except no SVN Karma is
> granted.
> >>

> > Ehh, but don't we want translators to have karma to /ooo-site as well,
> > so they can edit the website?  So maybe enough to limit it to that?
> > Or maybe it is not worth worrying about translators messing with C++
> > code.
>
> We do, but we also don't know how tied in pootle will all be and for
> ooo-site anonymous contributions are not a problem - merit can be accessed.

We could think about moving the NL sites to a different directory structure
to deal with more separate access along with the Pootle permissions. We
would need to discuss if we think this is worth it at this point.

> >> The Translator would have access to pootle.a.o and people.a.o.
> >>
> >> Translators who earn merit can later be VOTEd into Committer and PPMC
> roles.
> >>
> >> If the project wants to do this then I'll take it up with the IPMC to
> see if it is an acceptable practice.
> >>

> > It appears to be acceptable for TLP's given the Subversion example.
> > So worst case we just wait for graduation to make such changes.
> >
> > In any case, I share your goal of finding a streamlined way of giving
> > Translators access to Pootle.
> >
> > Thanks for starting the thread.

Yes, thanks Dave. It would be a great help to find a more streamlined way
of getting translators into the project.

so, +1 from me on this

> You are welcome.
>
> Regards,
> Dave
>

> > -Rob
> >
> >> Regards,
> >> Dave

MzK

"I would rather have a donkey that takes me there
 than a horse that will not fare."
                                          -- Portuguese proverb