incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <>
Subject Re: Java download link on AOO site
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 17:45:18 GMT
On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Hagar Delest <>wrote:

> It has been noticed by a forum user that the download link to Java points
> to the 1.7 version (Get the most recent Java (JRE):
> We should point to a 1.6 version to avoid problems with Java 1.7 and AOO:
> Link is in the Documentation section, right of the page:
> Hagar

ummm...two things on this...

-- there was quite a long discussion on Java 7 that started in Jan. and
ultimately resulted in this post  on June 19 from Ariel re Java 7 stating
that using java 7 didn't seem to cause issues

-- I might caution against having users download java 6, assuming they have
no java 7, due to security concerns and possibly other inconsistencies with
whatever OS they are using.

Bottom line -- I'm not sure we should change the java download to version 6
over 7.  Maybe others feel there is a compelling reason for this downgrade,
I don't know.

as an FYI -- I have java 7 installed and no problems so far.

"I would rather have a donkey that takes me there
 than a horse that will not fare."
                                          -- Portuguese proverb