incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Crazy idea: Use Google to translate website
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 20:20:52 GMT
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 7:14 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 9:57 AM, Donald Whytock <dwhytock@gmail.com> wrote:
> > You don't have to use Google Translate for the entire site into a
> > given language.  Better than no page at all in a given language is a
>
> True.   To enable this integration requires adding markup to two
> places in the HTML file:
>
> 1) Load some script in the <head> section
>
> 2) Add a Google-provided <div> to wherever in the page we want the
> language selector drop down to be.
>
> It would be really easy to add this to a small number of selected pages.
>
> It would also be easy to add to all pages via the CMS template.
>
> What would be hard is managing this for a large number of pages, but
> not all pages.
>
> > page in a given language that says, "Hi there!  This is the site for
> > Apache OpenOffice.  We welcome translations of our site into your
> > language, and invite you to volunteer at the following email address:
> > <blah> Or you can submit a translation through Google Translate, which
> > was used to produce this page."
> >
> > Something as short as that is less likely to be garbled in
> > auto-translation than something technical, and it tells potential
> > contributors what to do to help out.
> >

> The trick would be to get people to visit that page.  Unless it was on
> the home page.
>
> -Rob
>
> > Don

OK, it took me a little while to weed through Google's info on this.

A good sample can be found at:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/09/translate-your-website-with-google.html

Is there any possibility we could ad the gadget to the OOo blogs site --

https://blogs.apache.org/OOo/

just for fun and see what we think?
This way we'd just be impacting one page and not a whole site.

I think that might a perfect application for something like this.

MzK

"I would rather have a donkey that takes me there
 than a horse that will not fare."
                                          -- Portuguese proverb