incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Create ooo-l10n@incubator.apache.org
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 16:23:17 GMT
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 8:58 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> I suggested this on the list a few weeks ago.  I'd like to now move
> forward with it.
>
> I'll volunteer to be one of the list moderators.  But I need 2-3 other
> committers to volunteer as well.  Let me know if you can help.
>
> l10n = localization or localisation, depending on where you went to school.
>
> The purpose of the list would be coordination of the localization
> efforts, including translation, for AOO.  Another purpose would be for
> coaching new translators on the project., helping them to get started
> and productive with our tools.
>
> In other words, rather than ooo-dev's "drink from the fire hose"
> approach, where power-user email filtering skills are necessary to
> preserve sanity, let's offer a more focused collaboration environment
> for translators
>
> -Rob

Well I don't recall your original suggestion, but this sounds like a very
worthwhile idea. Our translation efforts are gaining importance and
momentum and it would help if a more focused area were available.

Would this include BOTH translations for the product as well as web related
matters? I don't know how the original was used really...

So, +1 from me on this.

I probably couldn't help much with moderation, however. :/

The old project area for I10n could really use an overhaul as well.

http://www.openoffice.org/l10n/

One step at a time I guess.

MzK

"I would rather have a donkey that takes me there
 than a horse that will not fare."
                                          -- Portuguese proverb