incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [RELEASE][3.4.1]: Preparing release notes
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2012 20:00:07 GMT
On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 9:52 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 5:34 PM, Kay Schenk <kay.schenk@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 1:09 AM, J├╝rgen Schmidt
> > <jogischmidt@googlemail.com>wrote:
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> ok AOO 3.4.1 won't be a feature release but nevertheless I think we
> >> should prepare release notes to give a user friendly overview of what is
> >> going into our upcoming 3.4.1 release.
> >>
> >> I have created a new (more or less empty) wiki page to start working on
> >> the release notes for 3.4.1.
> >>

> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Release+Notes
> >>
> >> The following query list all fixed blocker issues for 3.4.1 and can be
> >> used as input for the release notes.
> >>
> >> Any volunteers who are interested to start working on it?
> >>
> >> Juergen
> >>

> > Final call for contributions on this!
> >
> > Currently:
> >
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4.1+Release+Notes
> >
> > is rather short (and hopefully sweet).
> >
> > A final call for submissions. We should probably plan on finalizing by
> > Friday pm (1800 PDT) if at all possible.
> >
> > The release notes are typically in "html" and ported to the web site, so
> > this wiki page will need to be converted by the time of the 3.4.1
> release.
> > I think this is still slated for the coming Tuesday, July 31
> >

> It would be good to first freeze the content, and then have some time
> to edit the release notes.  I just took an initial pass now, but I'd
> like the opportunity to do more work once the basic content is
> complete.
>
> Remember what we saw from the AOO 3.4.0 release.  Most press articles
> will be written based directly on what we state in the release notes
> and in our release announcement.  So we need to ensure that the
> content is accurate and useful to the user, but also to the
> journalist.
>
> An example of one kind of issue:  we list the new languages and the
> updated languages, but not the languages that are carried over from
> 3.4.0.  Similarly we say there are no new platforms, but we don't list
> what platforms are supported.   Not all users are upgrading from
> 3.4.0.  Some will see AOO for the first time with 3.4.1.  So we should
> be giving more information, the full picture.  For example:
> additional languages are available via language packs, more templates
> and extensions can be found here, etc.
>
> Again, I can help edit and fill in the details, once we have the basic
> technical contents for the AOO 3.4.1 added.
>
> -Rob

Rob--

Nice changes and of course you are right about technical details. I'm
hoping one the folks more intimately involved with development can weigh in
soon. I tried to do some of this by looking at the svn commits and
comments, but this is probably not sufficient for better explanations.

As for myself, well, I'm thinking release notes are NOT my strong suit. :/
.