incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Java download link on AOO site
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2012 21:11:13 GMT
On Fri, Jul 13, 2012 at 11:06 AM, Andreas S├Ąger <villeroy@t-online.de>wrote:

> Am 13.07.2012 19:45, Kay Schenk wrote:
>
>  ummm...two things on this...
>>
>> -- there was quite a long discussion on Java 7 that started in Jan. and
>> ultimately resulted in this post  on June 19 from Ariel re Java 7 stating
>> that using java 7 didn't seem to cause issues
>>
>> http://markmail.org/thread/**l2vhaqn7d6xvbfi3<http://markmail.org/thread/l2vhaqn7d6xvbfi3>
>>
>> -- I might caution against having users download java 6, assuming they
>> have
>> no java 7, due to security concerns and possibly other inconsistencies
>> with
>> whatever OS they are using.
>>
>> Bottom line -- I'm not sure we should change the java download to version
>> 6
>> over 7.  Maybe others feel there is a compelling reason for this
>> downgrade,
>> I don't know.
>>
>> as an FYI -- I have java 7 installed and no problems so far.
>>

> Java7 does not work at all with AOO under 64 bit Windows.
> There are reports about popular extensions being incompatible with Java7.

OK, maybe you could file a bug report on this specific case if one doesn't
already exist. I reviewed the 3 BZ postings that Fernando references, and
one was "fixed" and the others seemed inconclusive.

I don't doubt that we would come across extensions that are incompatible
with Java 7.

Thanks.

MzK

"I would rather have a donkey that takes me there
 than a horse that will not fare."
                                          -- Portuguese proverb