incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS]: where is the donation button
Date Tue, 17 Jul 2012 21:03:57 GMT
On Tue, Jul 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM, Jürgen Schmidt <jogischmidt@googlemail.com
> wrote:

> On 7/17/12 7:45 AM, Dave Fisher wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 16, 2012, at 3:53 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> jogischmidt@googlemail.com

> www.openoffice.org.

> the

> explanation.

> >> It should be possible to do this via an addition to the header or
> >> footer.  A prominent place would be the upper right, maybe where we
> >> currently have the Incubator logo.
> >
> > I added the link in a the more subtle place in the footer. So far it is
> only on http://ooo-site.staging.apache.org/

yep! not bad actually... :) Why don't we go ahead with this? It's fine for
now.

> after looking several times on the page I have seen it ;-)
>
> I think if we really want to promote the donation possibility it have to
> be more prominent and I agree to Rob that the upper right corner would
> be perfect.
>
> I would prefer a donation button that either goes to a PayPal page
> directly or a separate page where we give some more background why
> donations to Apache helps AOO. Here we can link to the the Apache
> donation page as well where people can find bank information for other
> donation channels.
>
> I know from the past that we have reached many, many small donations
> from many individuals who would never send a check or would probably
> never do a wired transaction.
>
> But I agree that we should contact fundraising before we go live with
> anything.

yes...as per Rob's suggestion...I think after we graduate, replacing the
Incubator graphic with a "Donate" would be a good idea. Now, well, probably
too cluttered.

And, in fact, although we have the phrase "feel free to contribute" on the
"participate" link, there is NOTHING about donating on the "Get Involved"
page. We can certainly fix that in the interim.

I was wondering what you meant by "all our pages" -- the wiki and forums
also? Just a question.

> Juergen
>

> >> But I'd recommend raising the idea with V.P., Fundraising.   My
> >> impression was the ASF is more geared to receiving larger
> >> contributions.  Although receiving 10,000 donations of 10 euros would
> >> be significant, I imagine it would increase bookkeeping work, and I
> >> wouldn't want to flood anyone unless they were prepared for this.
> >>
> >> So maybe a note to Fundraising@ is in order?
> >
> > I would say that we should commit the footer change and then ask them
> about a button at the top - perhaps to the right of "search".
> >
> > The other question is whether the link should be to #Paypal or the whole
> page.
> >
> > If the project wants an intermediate page then we should add htat now
> before contacting fundraising@.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Dave
> >

> >> -Rob