incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Install developer build side by side with regular version instead of overwriting it
Date Fri, 27 Jul 2012 23:18:04 GMT
On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 4:52 PM, Regina Henschel <rb.henschel@t-online.de>wrote:

> Hi Kay,
>
> Kay Schenk schrieb:
>
>> On Sun, Jul 22, 2012 at 4:41 AM, Andrea Pescetti <pescetti@apache.org
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  On 21/07/2012 Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>>>
>>>  there was a

>>> Correcting myself: the page is online now, but the one above is the URL
>>> for 3.4 snapshots, not for current snapshots.
>>>
>>> The right one is
>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/****confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**<https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**>
>>> Development+Snapshot+Builds<ht**tps://cwiki.apache.org/**
>>> confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**Development+Snapshot+Builds<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds>
>>> >

>>> I've now changed both pages so that:
>>> - The 3.4 snapshots page redirects the reader to the second page, in case
>>> he is looking for current builds.
>>> - The second page explains that development builds can be provided with
>>> or
>>> without system integration (and what this means), and tells the reader if
>>> the currently available builds are with or without system integration.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>    Andrea.
>>>

>> Maybe to address floris v's initial concerns -- and in truth this is how
>> we
>> have been operating for a while, with replacement -- we should just edit
>> the Development Snapshot page to caution folks to always do a "custom"
>> install so they can install a different location than the normal default
>> for their systems, which will always do an overwrite.
>>
>> Would this work? Even for Windows?
>>

> No. Overwriting does not depend on the install location but on the product
> key (or something similar, I don't know exactly). If it is the same, the
> previous version is uninstalled even if it is in a different folder. So the
> build itself must already have the property of parallel installation.
>
> But the second problem is, that you need a way to make the user directory
> different. You cannot use the same user settings with different versions.
>
> Kind regards
> Regina
>

> Thanks for this info, Regina...and too bad it works this way for Windows.

On Linux, I can install a new version in a separate area and both the older
and new version use my existing OO profile and this works fine and dandy.

So, no resolution for Windows testers without overwriting?

It would be nice if we could figure something out and document the
Developer Snapshot page.

MzK

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music.
 As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool."
                              -- Eddie Van Halen