incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Create ooo-l10n@incubator.apache.org
Date Mon, 02 Jul 2012 21:36:53 GMT
On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 2:14 PM, Dave Fisher <dave2wave@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> > On Jul 2, 2012, at 10:33 AM, Rob Weir wrote:

> school.

> very
> >>>

> >> The suggestion was originally another thread.  You can see the fuller
> >> justification here:
> >>
> >> http://markmail.org/message/4zn3z2gor5chuv4n
> >
> > It was deep in a thread where it was your 5th message within 2 hours.
> I'm sorry, but my Rob filter does trigger at some point.
>
> Your loss.
>
> On that date, June 4th, I posted on the following:
>
> 1) Asked Nicholas if he would agree to be interviewed for a blog post.
>
> 2) Gave some quantitative feedback to Oliver on the upgrade numbers,
> to make sure that was going smoothly.
>
> 3) Helped debug why the blog feeds were not working
>
> 4) Announced that the blog post on rebranding AOO was finally published.
>
> 5) Contributed a single post on a thread on  voting in new committers.
>  You posted 4x to that thread.
>
> 6) And proposed a draft page on How to Help with AOO Translations
>
> Of course, we all have our filters.  Mine happens to be those who
> hijack threats to post off-topics complaints about non-events that
> occurred a month ago.
>
> > I'm glad you are bringing this up again.
> >
> > I think that the name ooo-l10n is a hard one to understand. It is too
> technical plus "l" and "1" are hard to distinguish.
> >
> > I think ooo-translate would be clear.
> >

> ooo-translate would be fine with me.

*I* like ooo-translate as well but what  has more meaning to the group
we're trying to engage?

It seems like L10n, or l10n,  is the common term given to localizations and
is in wide use by most open source projects. see, for example --

Mozilla: https://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Home_Page
Debian: http://wiki.debian.org/L10n

Just my .02.

And, of course, we already have an L10n we area which we could use...