incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kay Schenk <kay.sch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Crazy idea of the day: Guest Blog Posts
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 21:41:47 GMT
On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Rob Weir <robweir@apache.org> wrote:

> So far we've used our blog as a project blog, with an editorial voice
> that one could call "the voice of the project".  We use it for
> official announcements, updates, etc.  This is perfectly fine, and we
> can keep it that way.  But the volume of posts is rather low.
>
> I've tried to supplement it by interviews of others in the project or
> the broader ecosystem.  But even though everyone thought this was a
> great idea, I seem to be the only one doing this.
>
> So, another idea is to allow guest posts from others in the ecosystem,
> project members, users, consultants, extension authors, etc.
>
> We could set some parameters to prevent problems.  For example, we
> could accept drafts to the mailing list and a volunteer Editor would
> help edit the posts to our standards.  The PMC would maintain
> editorial control via normal means (reviewing posts before they go
> live).  We would require the post be relevant to the project, helpful
> to users in their use of OpenOffice, and not be entirely a commercial
> product pitch.  For example, we could limit posts to one link back to
> the author's (or company's) homepage or product page.
>
> What do you think?  If we allowed this, would we get more blog
> submissions?  Would it help the overall ecosystem?
>
> -Rob

I like this idea...I'm not sure how to solicit input -- announcement list?
users list?, but it sounds good. I, personally, am not a blogger and do not
care to be interviewed. But, we may find some user fans who would like
nothing better to say a few things.

MzK

"I would rather have a donkey that takes me there
 than a horse that will not fare."
                                          -- Portuguese proverb