incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From RGB ES <rgb.m...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Should quickstarter be enabled or disabled by default?
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2012 23:31:51 GMT
2012/7/25 drew jensen <drewjensen.inbox@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, 2012-07-24 at 14:25 -0700, Kay Schenk wrote:
>> On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon.oo@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>> > KG01 - see comments inline.

>> > KG01 - Perhaps we can include an 'enable' / 'disable' QuickStart option
>> > directly in the Help menu on the main menu.
>> >
>> > This location would ensure the commands persist, and are available in both
>> > states.
>> >
>> > Evoking the the quickstart menu option from the quickstart bar in the
>> > system tray would serve as contextual, redundant access. Again, enabling
>> > could be evoke by the commands in the help menu.
>> >

>> Well this is an interesting idea. I think this would be better placement
>> than where it is now -- Options -> Tools -> Memory.
>>
>> I have it disabled on my version (and always have near as I remember) but I
>> do recall having a time trying to figure this out.
>>
>> And, since I have had it disabled for ages, I don't recall if I got some
>> notice about it on "first" start up.
>
> Well, I would not think this a good use of that top menu location. That
> location seems a good place for the type of option that a user is likely
> to toggle, with some frequency. The choice of enabling the quickstarter
> is IMO not such an option - it is as best I can tell a one time choice
> by most.
>
> To be honest the only recollection I have of this is helping people turn
> it off -because it caused either a problem with the JRE/Base (those
> problems I think have been over for years now though) or during an
> update of the full suite (still an on-going problem).
>
> I can't recall one time that I've helped someone turn it on.
>
> My .02 worth - turn it off by default and leave the option toggle where
> it is - better yet, drop it completely.
>

> //drew

+1 for turn it off by default.

About set it on the help menu, there is no relation between help
functions and the quickstart so IMO it will be completely out of place
there.

Most users I know do not even realize that the quickstarter is running
and in fact I cannot remember anyone using the right click menu on
it...

Regards
Ricardo