incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From chengjh <chen...@apache.org>
Subject [Review|Discussion]For Ideas and Comments on the Vision of Writer's Track Changes Improvement
Date Tue, 03 Jul 2012 03:33:29 GMT
Hi All,

As we know,Track Changes is one of the most important features in a
document editing application,such as the Apache OpenOffice.org Writer.It
provides to track history changes within a document and review a shared
document between different roles in an internal and collaborative
environment.Through this feature,end users can conveniently distinguish
each roles' revised changes and review comments when working on the same
document,especially within a complex reviewing process.

Although,Apache OpenOffice.org Writer has also provided the Track Changes
feature, there are existing very obviously feature gaps comparing with MS
Word.Please refer to the details from
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/ToDo/TrackChanges#Comparison_and_GAP.Of
course, the interoperability fidelity with MS Word is poor..Because of the
obviously feature gaps,we have received some requirements to improve the
function area, and been raised some defects too.Please refer to the classic
ones from
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/ToDo/TrackChanges#Requirement
.

In order to decrease the feature gaps,especially improve the
interoperability fidelity with MS Word, we have taken some investigation
and tried to understand the current implementation
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/ToDo/TrackChanges#Current_Design
deeply.
And then, based on the our current knowledge and understanding,we have
worked out a design proposal
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/ToDo/TrackChanges#Design_Proposals
for
your review. The proposal is just the beginning, and now open for review
and discussion.

For our same goal to make Apache OpenOffice.org successful, I appreciate
your comments and contribution to the improvement. Your ideas and comments
will not be limited to the current design proposal,breakthrough thinking
welcomed..Expecting your involvement.Thanks.

Reference:
[1] Track Changs Wiki::
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Writer/ToDo/TrackChanges
[2] OASIS ODF TC on Track Changes: