incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Dave Fisher <dave2w...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: OpenOffice in Java
Date Fri, 06 Jul 2012 21:20:29 GMT
Hi Dennis,

On Jul 6, 2012, at 10:57 AM, Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:

> @Rony,
>
> I have no intention to bash Java.
>
> However, the ability to support extensions and scripting including optional reliance
on a JVM hosting is not the same as reworking AOOi as Java-hosted software.  In fact, it is
no longer to have a JVM to install AOOi (or LibreOffice) and JREs are no longer distributed
as part of the installs.

No longer providing a JRE is more about the maturity and ubiquity of JVMs on consumer OSs.
It is now a mistake and a security issue to try to install a particular version of the JVM.
The recent JVM exploits on MacOSX should have motivated all OS providers to make available
the latest secure version of the JDK.

A decade or longer ago with the spotty and divergent Java support from major OS providers
like Microsoft and Apple it was a different world. Wonder why Java is more of a Server success?
Apache Hadoop, a Java based clustering system replaced faster, proprietary C++ clustered servers
at Yahoo. There are 20,000 servers in their cluster. Why? In aggregate the Hadoop cluster
is faster because it is more reliable.

> I am not a party to any of that.  I am simply observing it.

Keep on observing. But join the party someday.

Regards,
Dave

> - Dennis

I don't know the reasoning, but it is happening.
> AFAICT there was quite an anti-Java stance before the OpenJDK came along by different
groups.

> Therefore, I was surprised to read this statement, because for quite some time there
has been no
> "Java-bashing", which IMHO would just simply be stupid, unfprofessional and actually
harm AOO in
> todays world.
>
>> really, I don't see it at AOO at the moment. I still recommend Java for extensions
because it's
>> much easier to develop and to maintain on all platforms.
> +1
>
> In addtion, the very important AOO scripting framework is totally Java based.
> (BTW, this does not mean that one is only able to deploy Java-implemented script languages,
but it
> means that it is very easy to add any Java-based scripting language in addition to AOO.
As another