incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevin Grignon <kevingrignon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [UI] ColorPicker - entering hex color code
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2012 16:17:37 GMT
KG01 - See comments inline.

On Jul 19, 2012, at 11:33 PM, Andre Fischer <af@a-w-f.de> wrote:

> On 19.07.2012 16:43, Ariel Constenla-Haile wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> entering a color in the new color, with its hex code, has a rather
>> strange result. Try
>>
>> - menu "Tools" -"Options..."
>> - on the "Options" dialog, select the on the tree "OpenOffice.org"
>>   - "Colors"
>> - select a color and press the "Edit..." button (side comment: the color
>>   picker should be available from the floating window that opens from
>>   the toolbar!)
>> - enter some color in the "Hex #" edit field, for example AA
>>
>> If I enter AA, I would expect it to be #0000AA, that is, zeros added at
>> the left.
>>
>> AA -> 0000AA -> RBG 0,0,170
>>
>> but the color picker shows RGB 170,170,170
>
> AA -> AAAAAA
>
> seems to me more natural then than AA -> 0000AA or AA -> AA0000 (or AA -> 00AA00)

KG01 - These examples, along with the behavior expectations may make sense to a developer,
however in 15 yrs of digital design, I've never assumed a tool would resolve my hex input.

I suspect we all agree that the colour picker UX needs work, I'm not sure this fix would address
the core issues.

Regardless, from a UX perspective, the tool should prevent users from having to refine or
correct autocomplete. Furthermore, if a specific syntax is required, then the input field
and supporting instructional text and examples should make the expected syntax obvious.

>> Enter only A
>>
>> A -> 00000A -> RGB 0,0,10
>>
>> but the color picker shows RGB 160,160,160
>
> this is unexpected.  Following the previous case I would have expected
> A -> 0A0A0A
>

>> Enter ABC
>>
>> ABC -> 000ABC -> RGB o,10,188
>>
>> the color picker shows 171,171,171
>
> urgh, I would expect an error message here

KG01 - error prevention is better than error recovery