incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From "Marcus (OOo)" <marcus.m...@wtnet.de>
Subject Re: What to say in AOO 3.4.1 release announcement about the ports? (BSD, Solaris, OS/2)?
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 21:29:30 GMT
Am 07/31/2012 11:04 PM, schrieb drew:
> On Tue, 2012-07-31 at 14:36 -0400, Rob Weir wrote:
>> I'm drafting the 3.4.1 release announcement blog post.  I have a
>> bullet list where I highlight what is in 3.4.1.  I list what platforms
>> are supported, mention the Windows 8 compatibility improvements,  and
>> then follow with this bullet item:
>>
>> "Community members are also working on BSD, Solaris and OS/2 ports,
>> with plans to release these outside of Apache."
>>

> Howdy Rob,
>
>> Is this accurate and worth saying?
>
> Yes IIRC and yes IMO.

Also from me a yes. I think it's an advantage to point to other
platforms that we (somehow) support as this shows clearly a big
diversity and open mind.

>> Would it make sense to also
>> include links for each of these ports, where the reader can go for
>> more information?
>
> I would think a better return if instead of putting direct links for
> each, create a fixed address (wiki page?) for 'other ports' (or more
> appropriate for a title).

Or a separate webpage, but anyhow. A single page that contains all ports
with a bit text and finaly a link to go to the respective download
possibilities.

> Link to that from the announcement/blog and would make that a precedent
> for future announcements.
>

>> Although these are not Apache releases, they are part of the close
>> ecosystem, with developers working directly in our project to support
>> these ports.  So I think there is some logic to mentioning them in the
>> release announcement.  But work that happens entirely outside of the
>> project, like portable applications versions, would not get a mention.
>
> I would disagree, somewhat, in that personal preference would be to
> include the 2 or 3 portable 'wrapper' distributors as this has seemed to
> be of interest to quite a few folks in the past.

Right. Just add them to the single page with text and link. That's it. :-)

> Just my .02
>
> //drew
>>
>> Does this seem fair and appropriate?
>>
>> If we agree to do this, I'll need a link for each of BSD, Solaris and
>> OS/2, for more information.
>>
>> The alternative would be to not mention the ports at all.

I don't see this as an alternative. Even when we don't support the ports
and portables directly resp. in a big way, it's absolutely worth to
mention this. The most common thing is the shared code base - and that's
not small.

Marcus