incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Asghar Rahmani <>
Subject [New Contributor] , some initial questions...
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2012 15:23:58 GMT

hello everybody,

I´m  a new AOO contributor, living in Germany.

Since 2 months I try to get a general technique-focused overview of ODF
related entities (products, standards,
communities, press, ...) to become a technical writer.  For online and
printed magazines (primary) in German
 language, targeting Java developers.
I´m a Sun Certified Java Programmer and a  NetBeans user since 2005.

Even being familiar with some Apache projects as a normal user, I´m
completely new to ASF.
Therefore currently also busy with learning about ASF organization and
it´s  Infra-services (Bugzilla, Jira, ApacheCMS,
cWiki, SVN, Blog), relevant to me for a successful contribution to those
ASF communities, dealing with ODF standard.
(the AOO and ODF toolkit projects).
Perhaps the low-level Documentation-set of these 2 communities is the
best matching work-area for me
(i. e. UNOIDL & JURE references, Developer Guide, JavaDoc of ODF-toolkit
public API).

Another sounding AOO´s work area to me is i18n (specially it´s
Right-to-Left Writing System subarea).

I  document  useful information and have still to find the matching
manner to interact well with the community.
(min. overhead at both sides for max. result for both sides)

             * * *

my first questions:
1.- I don’t have an account for  Do I need it
really? (prefer to avoid)

2- Can you provide me  link to resources, describing overall
architectural overview of Apache Web Infrastructure ?

3- Can you provide me a link to Bugzilla-vs-Jira  docs? (feature list,
lang used to develop,...)

4- Where can I follow the discussion or find learning material about our
community´s work areas, impacting significantly
the design and content of AOO public APIs and low-level documentations
for developers :

    * merging IBM Symphony 3.0.1 into AOO 3.4.X (impacts?)
    * embedding ODF toolkit 0.5  into AOO 4.0  SDK (impacts?)
    * latest information about AOO Plugin for NetBeans (if any)
    * Eclipse vs NetBeans doc, restricted to AOO plug-in (if any available)
    * …... (?)

I´m already subscribed to AOO and ODF-toolkit´s dev mailing lists and
have an account on AOO issue-tracker (Bugzilla).

I appropriate any further information, recommendation helping me to “Get
Involved” around AOO 4.X.

I need time to get required overview about OOo 3.x, AOO 3.4.0 (my
default Office Suite on Win XP box), ASF´s Infra, OASIS
ODF standard and things related to transition period (OOo → AOO).
Even my work is naturally intended towards AOO 4.X SDK, I have already
different  feedback for 3.4.X area, being sent to
community at right time . These ALL have time. …

For now I wish enjoying the current collective work for the very close
release of AOO 3.4.1. Good luck.

Many Thanks in Advance,
Asghar Rahmani