incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Herbert Duerr <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [QA REPORT] After long-running GUI testing, memory leak is much less than before.
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2012 08:52:32 GMT
On 24.07.2012 17:59, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 10:55 PM, Linyi Li <lilinyi921734@gmail.com> wrote:
>> It is a good suggestion to test memory leak. Maybe we can write some test
>> cases based on memory leak defect.

Yes, that is a good idea. The valgrind tool could be very helpful for
such an automated test.

> It is tricky.  For example, a dialog box might have a memory leak when
> you click "cancel" but not when you click "OK" to exit it.  The leak
> can depend on the exact steps taken by the user and the exact path
> through the code.  We can never test all paths.

Yes. It gets even more tricky when caches come into play. E.g. a
spellchecker may cache some parts of the dictionary depending on the
documents it already parsed.

Adding support for a memleak-checker friendly mode to such caches can
help here though. If this mode is enabled they will discard unused
entries as soon as possible.

> Maybe one of the long-time OpenOffice developers know an answer to
> this:  Have we ever considered having a custom memory allocator with a
> separate pool of memory for each loaded document?

IIRC they are already here and were called "rtl_arena" or "rtl_cache".
Please see main/sal/inc/rtl/alloc.h for details.

Also there were specialized memory allocators based on them but using
different ones (e.g. by using the "--with-alloc" configure option) AFAIK
didn't hurt the performance too much.

> That way, when we
> close a document we can just free the entire block and avoid any
> memory leaks?  We did this with SmartSuite years ago, and it was a big
> help.

This looks like an interesting idea.

Herbert