incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Install developer build side by side with regular version instead of overwriting it
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 23:52:06 GMT
Hi Kay,

>>> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
>>> AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+**Snapshots<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+Snapshots>
>>> is temporarily unavailable at the moment).
>>>

>> Correcting myself: the page is online now, but the one above is the URL
>> for 3.4 snapshots, not for current snapshots.
>>
>> The right one is
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/**confluence/display/OOOUSERS/**
>> Development+Snapshot+Builds<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/Development+Snapshot+Builds>
>>
>> I've now changed both pages so that:
>> - The 3.4 snapshots page redirects the reader to the second page, in case
>> he is looking for current builds.
>> - The second page explains that development builds can be provided with or
>> without system integration (and what this means), and tells the reader if
>> the currently available builds are with or without system integration.
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Andrea.
>>

> Maybe to address floris v's initial concerns -- and in truth this is how we
> have been operating for a while, with replacement -- we should just edit
> the Development Snapshot page to caution folks to always do a "custom"
> install so they can install a different location than the normal default
> for their systems, which will always do an overwrite.
>
> Would this work? Even for Windows?

No. Overwriting does not depend on the install location but on the
product key (or something similar, I don't know exactly). If it is the
same, the previous version is uninstalled even if it is in a different
folder. So the build itself must already have the property of parallel
installation.

But the second problem is, that you need a way to make the user
directory different. You cannot use the same user settings with
different versions.

Kind regards
Regina