incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From J├╝rgen Schmidt <jogischm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [UX]Why does AOO use semicolon and space as the default separators when open one csv?
Date Mon, 23 Jul 2012 09:50:35 GMT
On 7/23/12 10:38 AM, Joost Andrae wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 23.07.2012 09:00, schrieb Zhe Liu:
>> Hi,
>> I use Calc to open a csv. "Text Import" dialog pops up. Semicolon &
>> Space are checked by default as separators. Most of csv  files in the
>> world use comma as separator, right? I prefer comma.
>> In addition, when I use AOO to save a csv, I found the default
>> separator is comma. When I reopen the csv, I have to change separator
>> to comma. IMHO, it's a bad experience.
>>

> defined in https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4180 the default separator
> should be a comma. I'm not sure why AOO does it differently but there
> must be a reason to do it like this. Maybe Eike Rathke knows more about
> the reason. (CCed him)

would be interesting to know if there is a reason for this otherwise it
doesn't sounds logic. Why 2 different defaults for import and export?

But the current behaviour is that the dialog save the settings. Means
created csv file with ',' separator -> close document -> open file, load
defaults ';' + ' ' -> change to ',' -> close document, quit office ->
start office, load file, the dialog has ',' as default.

Looks principally ok and flexible but having the same default at the
beginning would make probably even more sense.

Juergen