incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Pescetti <pesce...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Discussion on Bug 119639, the requirement conflicts with ODF standard
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2012 16:32:21 GMT
On 20/07/2012 Clarence GUO wrote:
> Then how can I fix this defect? It seems the only way is to change the
> standard and change the corresponding filter code. But I know change the
> standard is not easy...

It is not easy, but not impossible either. See these resources where you
can see that committers from this project already managed to extend ODF
successfully:
https://wiki.oasis-open.org/office/Text_overline
http://www.robweir.com/blog/2008/04/suggesting-odf-enhancements.html
https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/office-comment/200803/msg00000.html

If I recall correctly, in that case OpenOffice supported the enhancement
before the official ODF specification did (I won't discuss here whether
this is a good or a bad thing, but this is just to say that even if
changing ODF is not easy, applications have implemented changes earlier
than they were made official; and I may be wrong on this specific example).

Regards,
   Andrea.