incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From Regina Henschel <rb.hensc...@t-online.de>
Subject Re: Install developer build side by side with regular version instead of overwriting it
Date Sat, 21 Jul 2012 23:26:56 GMT
Hi,

TJ Frazier schrieb:
> On 7/21/2012 16:17, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
>> RGB ES wrote:
>>> I think that that was on purpose: we are really close to 3.4.1 release
>>> so it's time to test install issues.
>>
>> Exactly, it was discussed earlier on this list. Anyway, there was a
>> quite prominent warning on the download page last time I checked (it
>> seems
>> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+Snapshots
>>
>> is temporarily unavailable at the moment).
>>
>>> You can always install several versions in parallel. For Linux the
>>> procedure is here
>>
>> We have a "semi-official" page about this on the wiki too:
>> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Run_OOo_versions_parallel
>>
>> Regards,
>>    Andrea.
>>

> FWIW, I'm currently running (under WV) 3.3 (regular install), 3.4 beta
> (dev install), and AOO 3.4 (parallel install, per Andrea's link). I
> don't turn on any of the Quickstarters (that would be pushing it), and
> only run one version at a time, but all work well. Depending on where
> you specify the data should go, the parallel version may cause security
> hassles with Windows permissions, but there are several ways around that.

"run one version at a time" is not really needed. If you use different
user folders, you can run the versions at the same time. To get
different user folders you can edit the bootstrap file or you can call
soffice with parameter -env:UserInstallation=
With the latter you can even run the _same_ installation two or more
times, for example one with English UI and at the same time with German UI.

This works at least for WinXp and Windows 7.

Kind regards
Regina