incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From TJ Frazier <tjfraz...@cfl.rr.com>
Subject Re: Install developer build side by side with regular version instead of overwriting it
Date Sat, 21 Jul 2012 23:05:01 GMT
On 7/21/2012 16:17, Andrea Pescetti wrote:
> RGB ES wrote:
>> 2012/7/21 floris v:
>>> I just downloaded and installed the latest developer snapshot/build and
>>> found that it replaces the stable version.
>> I think that that was on purpose: we are really close to 3.4.1 release
>> so it's time to test install issues.
>
> Exactly, it was discussed earlier on this list. Anyway, there was a
> quite prominent warning on the download page last time I checked (it
> seems
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OOOUSERS/AOO+3.4+Unofficial+Developer+Snapshots
> is temporarily unavailable at the moment).
>
>> You can always install several versions in parallel. For Linux the
>> procedure is here
>
> We have a "semi-official" page about this on the wiki too:
> http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Run_OOo_versions_parallel
>
> Regards,
>    Andrea.

FWIW, I'm currently running (under WV) 3.3 (regular install), 3.4 beta
(dev install), and AOO 3.4 (parallel install, per Andrea's link). I
don't turn on any of the Quickstarters (that would be pushing it), and
only run one version at a time, but all work well. Depending on where
you specify the data should go, the parallel version may cause security
hassles with Windows permissions, but there are several ways around that.

/tj/