incubator-ooo-dev mailing list archives

From David McKay <dmc...@btconnect.com>
Subject Re: How does hunspell deal with dots in wordlists?
Date Sat, 21 Jul 2012 12:25:58 GMT

On 21/07/12 11:47, tj wrote:
> Although used by AOO, Hunspell is not an Apache product. Google is
> your friend. --/tj/
>
> On 7/20/2012 21:42, Sahand.T wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm about to create a wordlist and am considering including
>> abbreviations in the wordlist. Before I do that I need to know how
>> hunspell deals with dots (.) in the wordlist. Are dots even allowed in
>> the wordlist for hunspell? If so, can I even write an abbreviation
>> like "O.K." with a dot after the final letter and have hunspell
>> correct "O.K" to "O.K."?
>>
>> I tried this:
>>
>> -------------------------
>>
>> $ test.dic
>> 1
>> O.K.
>>
>> $ test.txt
>> O.K
>> O.K.
>>
>> $ analyze test.aff test.dic test.txt
>>> O.K
>> Unknown word.
>>> O.K.
>>
>> -------------------------
>>
>> The "O.K" Turned up as an unknown word and the "O.K." (with dot in
>> end) didn't show anything at all. What does that mean?
>>
>> If I change the OK in the dic file to "O.K" (without final dot)
>> everything is fine:
>>
>> -------------------------
>>
>> $ test.dic
>> 1
>> O.K
>>
>> $ analyze test.aff test.dic test.txt
>>> O.K
>> analyze(O.K) =  st:O.K
>> stem(O.K) = O.K
>>> O.K.
>> analyze(O.K.) =  st:O.K
>> analyze(O.K.) =  st:O.K
>> stem(O.K.) = O.K
>>
>> -------------------------
>>
>> The problem here is that it doesn't correct "O.K" to "O.K." which is
>> what I want.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> /S.Taher

I don't think that O.K. would be the correct form, usually it is written
OK on its own. The full stop after the O and the K would imply that the
O and the K are the first letters of words starting with O and K
respectively, but OK is actually shorthand for 'okay', which is a single
word. There is a theory that OK was originally an abbreviation of the
purposely misspelled (for comic effect) Oll Korrect. That might or might
not be true, but either way I believe the correct modern usage to be OK
with no full stops.

Dave.